SYSTANE® Complete: Designed to Deliver Better Coverage*
Dr Beckman was compensated by Alcon for his participation in this blog post.
As many as 1 in 3 ophthalmic patients report at least one symptom of dry eye,1 which can adversely affect vision-related quality of life and productivity. 2-5
Dry eye is recognized as a condition with a multifactorial etiology that results in loss of homeostasis of the tear film.6,7 Identifying the major cause in each patient is essential, and published guidelines provide detailed steps on how best to distinguish between the major forms of dry eye.7,8 However, diagnosis can be complicated because dry eye often has multiple, overlapping causes.7-9 In such cases, addressing only one cause may not provide meaningful relief. A simple solution to this complicated problem is to recommend SYSTANE® Complete, an artificial tear formulated to support tear film integrity in all major types of dry eye.6,10-11
SYSTANE® Complete contains a demulcent that forms a soothing, moisturizing film over the ocular surface, and HP-guar, a non-ionic polymer that becomes a gel upon instillation, that helps retain the demulcent on the ocular surface.12 SYSTANE® Complete contains tiny nanodroplets with greater surface area to provide more lubrication per drop.*12,13 Rapid delivery of these nanodroplets across the ocular surface results in better coverage* and fast hydration, and locks in moisture for long-lasting relief.12,14 Moreover, it is designed to reduce blur, due to its nanodroplet formulation.9,13 With its unique formulation, SYSTANE® Complete simplifies the choice for patients and practitioners because it provides relief for all major types of dry eye, supports the tear film and protects against tear evaporation – it’s one simple choice for optimal dry eye relief.11,14
*Compared to SYSTANE® Balance Lubricant Eye Drops.
- Martinez JD, Galor A, Ramos-Betancourt N, et al. Frequency and risk factors associated with dry eye in patients attending a tertiary care ophthalmology center in Mexico City. Clin Ophthalmol. 2016;10:1335-1342.
- Mertzanis P, Abetz L, Rajagopalan K, et al. The relative burden of dry eye in patients’ lives: comparisons to a U.S. normative sample. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005;46:46-50.
- Miljanovic B, Dana R, Sullivan DA, Schaumberg DA. Impact of dry eye syndrome on vision-related quality of life. Am J Ophthalmol. 2007;143:409-415.
- Barabino S, Labetoulle M, Rolando M, Messmer EM. Understanding symptoms and quality of life in patients with dry eye syndrome. Ocular Surf. 2016;14:365-376.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Cornea/External Disease Panel. Preferred practice pattern guidelines. Dry eye syndrome. San Francisco, CA: American Academy of Ophthalmology; 2013.
- Craig JP, Nichols KK, Akpek EK, et al. TFOS DEWS II Definition and Classification Report. Ocul Surf. 2017;15:276-283.
- Milner MS, Beckman KA, Luchs JI, et al. Dysfunctional Tear Syndrome: Dry Eye Disease and Associated Tear Film Disorders – New Strategies for Diagnosis and Treatment. Curr Opin Ophthalmol.2017 Jan;27 Suppl 1:3-47.
- Wolffsohn JS, Arita R, Chalmers R, et al. TFOS DEWS II Diagnostic Methodology Report. Ocul Surf. 2017; 15:539-574.
- Jones L, Downie LE, Korb D et al. TFOS DEWS II Management and Therapy Report. Ocul Surf. 2017; 15:575-628.
- Korb D, Blackie C, Meadows D, Christensen M, Tudor M. Evaluation of extended tear stability by two emulsion based artificial tears. Poster presented at the 6th International Conference of the Tear Film and Ocular Surface: Basic Science and Clinical Relevance, September 22-25, 2010, Florence, IT.
- Davitt, WF, Bloomenstein M, Christensen M, Martin AE. Efficacy in patients with dry eye after treatment with a new lubricant eye drop formulation. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2010;26:347-353.
- Ogundele A, Ketelson H, et al. Preclinical evaluation of a novel hydroxypropyl-guar phospholipid nanoemulsion lubricant eye drop for dry eye disease. Poster presented at: The 36th World Ophthalmology Congress (WOC); June 16-19, 2018; Barcelona, Spain.
- Rangarajan R, Ketelson H. Preclinical Evaluation of a New Hydroxypropyl-Guar Phospholipid Nanoemulsion-Based Artificial Tear Formulation in Models of Corneal Epithelium. Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2018. doi:10.1089/jop.2018.0031.
- Benelli U. SYSTANE® lubricant eye drops in the management of ocular dryness. Clin Ophthalmol. 2011;5:783-790.
® 2018 Novartis 12/18 US-SYS-18-E-2129a